Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rowland Taylor


Rowland Taylor

I am passionate about God, Jesus, The Bible, history, my family and it's history and stories that they
have passed down from generation to generation.

My family lineage consist of Kings, Queens, Martyrs and Saints. Through my love of history
and research I have over the years compiled stories that often left me asking more questions then I had
answers for. Several families of my bloodline took very well recorded records. The Eller's, Taylor's and
Gascoigne's especially.

My bloodline includes the likes of and not to mention the Queens and other nobodies.
Saint Arnulf of Metz (582 – 640)
Saint Begga (615 – 693)
Charlemagne (742 - 814)
William I "The Conqueror" King of England (1024 – 1087)
Henry I King of England (1068 – 1135)
Henry II King of England (1132 – 1189)
John I King of England (1166 – 1216)
Henry III King of England (1207 – 1272)
Edward I King of England (1239 – 1307)

My family history is not that unique. Most people alive today can trace their genealogy back to
Royal Heritages. Royal families have always been related to one another in Europe since they often
intermarried with each other. Each family creating their own heirs and producing Kings and Queens of
other countries. Through the passage of time royals marrying commoners became more and more
common. I would estimate that descendants of Royal lineage with illegitimate children (those not
suited for the monarchy) is close to the tens of millions in the United States. Some might be a
descendant of a Royal descendant and the guy who served as their horse groomer.

Royals back in those days tended to have larger families and were able to provide their families
with adequate food and nutrition than the common family. More of their children were able to live
until childbearing age and escape disease, sickness and starvation unlike a common and less wealthy
family.

Royals over time and especially the female descents gradually ran out of stuff to inherit. Most
females of Royal bloodlines began coming to America with their families in the 16th century in order to obtain the free land. So being able to trace your family heritage back to Royal blood is really no big deal.
In my family heritage some individuals stand out more than others. The ones that stand out the
most to me are the lesser known individuals who stood up for God. The ones who were martyred and
the ones who came to the New World to escape religious persecution.
The one who I think is the cornerstone is my 7th great grandfather Rowland Taylor (October 6,
1510-February 9, 1559) who was killed by Bloody Queen Mary I. He was burned at the stake for
preaching against the Catholic Church and for his support of “the Nine Day Queen” Lady Jane Grey.
He was also married to William Tyndale's (of the King James Bible) sister Margaret. Rowland was a
central figure of the Protestant Reformation along with Martin Luther and John Calvin.

Rowland's troubles began with a sermon he preached at Bury Saint Edmunds on July 25, 1553
denouncing the Catholic practice of clerical celibacy in which Catholic Priest were forbidden to marry.
Many Clergymen started to abandon this practice since the 1530s as part of the protestant reformation.
He was also against a few other of the Catholic practices including the practice of idolatry.

After King Edward VI died on July 6, 1553, Bloody Mary I started bringing the practices of
Roman Catholicism back to England. Drawing England back into the rule of the Holy Roman Empire
and many of the Protestant reformers resisted the new english monarchy and that of Mary's husband
King Philip II King of Spain..

On March 26, 1554 the Privy Council ordered the arrest of Rowland and he was tried over the
next several years and sentenced to prison where he made many converts to the Faith. On January 20,
1555 the Catholic Church reinstated the burning of heretics. Nine days later On January 29th, Rowland
was given to opportunity to recant and when he refused, He was convicted of heresy and was condemned to be burned at the stake.

Rowland's words to his accusers were, "And although I know, that there is neither justice nor
truth to be looked for at my adversaries hands, but rather imprisonment and cruel death: yet know my cause to be so good and righteous, and the truth so strong upon my side, that I will by God's grace go and appear before them and to their beards resist their false doings."

Rowland was taken back to his hometown of Hadleigh to meet his fate as order by the Roman
Catholic Church. His wife had promised to be there the entire time and the Sheriff gave Rowland an
opportunity to speak with his family one last time.

Rowland's last words to his family were, “I say to my wife, and to my children, The Lord gave
you unto me, and the Lord hath taken me from you, and you from me: blessed be the name of the Lord! I believe that they are blessed which die in the Lord. God careth for sparrows, and for the hairs of our heads. I have ever found Him more faithful and favorable, than is any father or husband. Trust ye therefore in Him by the means of our dear Savior Christ's merits: believe, love, fear, and obey Him: pray to Him, for He hath promised to help. Count me not dead, for I shall certainly live, and never die. I go before, and you shall follow after, to our long home."

Rowland and Margaret's eldest son was Thomas (my 6th great grandfather). Rowland's words to
Thomas were, "Almighty God bless thee, and give you his Holy Spirit, to be a true servant of Christ, to learn his word, and constantly to stand by his truth all the life long. And my son, see that thou fear God always. Fly from all sin and wicked living. Be virtuous, serve God daily with prayer, and apply thy boke. In anywise see thou be obedient to thy mother, love her, and serve her. Be ruled by her now in thy youth, and follow her good counsel in all things. Beware of lewd company of young men, that fear not God, but followeth their lewd lusts and vain appetites. Flee from whoredom, and hate all filthy lying, remembering that I they father do die in the defense of holy marriage. And another day when God shall bless thee, love and cherish the poor people, and count that thy chief riches to be rich in alms. And when thy mother is waxed old, forsake her not, but provide for her to thy power, and see that she lacks nothing. For so will God bless thee, give thee long life upon earth, and prosperity, which I pray God to grant thee."

On his way to the stake, Rowland sought after a blind couple in which he tossed a glove full of
coins into their window and as a last act of kindness, he gave his boots to a shoeless man along the way. While tied to the stake, a local butcher was ordered to light the fire and he resisted and one of the
guards had pity on Rowland before the fire could be set and hit Rowland over his head that instantly
killed him saving him the suffering of being burned alive. Shortly after his body was consumed by
the flames.

The spirit of God is often found in the descendants of Rowland and Margaret. Some will say that the descendants of Rowland are Blessed through his words to his sons. I will tell you that we are
blessed and we are each blessed in our own unique way. We are blessed with God's perfect will.

No comments:

Post a Comment